Plate taken from the 'Illustrated London News'. Cannon Street Station, the London terminus of the South Eastern Railway, was opened in 1866, it's 'yawning jaws' opening into a station of unsually large proportions: the ILN commented that if all the bricks were laid end to end they would stretch 3,835 miles. A shuttle service was established between Cannon Street and Charing Cros, which, at a fare of two pence, was a popular method of avoiding congestion and carried three million people a year until it was superceeded by the underground. The station building survived largely intact until 1941 when the roof was damaged by bombing, but the two pillars either side of the entrance remain.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library