Plate from the Illustrated London News. The original, 'low level' station at Crystal Palace was constructed in 1854, but between then and 1884, attendances averaged two million visitors a year and as a result , another 'high level' railway station was constructed by the London, Chatham & Dover Railway on Crystal Palace Parade, connected to the Crystal Palace by a brick-built subway. The new line, from Peckham Rye, was opened on 1 August 1865. Services were suspended during both wars and the line beyond the junction at Nunhead was closed in 1954, but the subway still exists beneath the Parade, nationally listed as Grade II.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library