Carte de visite photograph by Loescher & Petsch of the German anatomist and pathologist, Rudolf Ludwig Karl Virchow (1821-1902). Virchow studied medicine at Berlin University (1840-1843), working as a surgeon in the Charite Hospital in Berlin before returning to the University to lecture on pathological and surgical anatomy. In 1847 he established the Archives for Pathological Anatomy, Physiology & Clinical Medicine, and in 1849 became a founding member of the Physico-medical Society in WUrzburg, Germany. In 1855-1856 he published his major work 'Collected Esays for Scientific Medicine', which was followed in 1859 by his 'Treatise on Constitutional Syphilis'.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library