Lithograph by T Bridgford. Liston (1794-1847) was house surgeon at the Royal Infirmary, Edinburgh. After working in Edinburgh as a teacher of anatomy, and as an operating surgeon from 1818-1828, he became surgeon to the North London Hospital, and profesor of clinical surgery at University College London. He was the first surgeon ever to use anaesthetic in a public operation (1846) and had a reputation for speedy amputation of limbs. He is famous for the Liston splint for dislocated thighs and as the author of 'The Elements of Surgery' (1831-2) and 'Practical Surgery' (1837). Dimensions: 380 mm x 280 mm.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library