Below-elbow artificial right arm made for a woman pianist. It consists of a blocked leather socket connected by jointed side steels to a long leather upper arm corset with four strap and buckle fastenings. The arm has a shaped wooden oval wrist with detachable wooden hand. The design has a wide finger spread, with the index, middle and ring fingers shorter than normal, and a padded thumb and little finger. This allowed the wearer to span an octave, and was used for a piano recital at the Royal Albert Hall, London, in 1906. It was made by Mr Royden of Abingdon Street, Northampton, England. Full view, palm of hand facing upwards.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library