Paddington Station, London, c 1908.
© National Railway Museum / Science & Society Picture Library -- All rights reserved
Official Great Western Railway photograph showing the entrance to the departure platforms on Eastbourne Terrace, with the Great Western Railway offices above. The main station at Paddington was built to the design of Isambard Kingdom Brunel (1806-1859) and Matthew Digby Wyatt as the terminus of Brunel's Great Western Railway (GWR). The station was completed in 1853, although a temporary station had been in use in the area from 1838 when the first section of the GWR opened.