Workers pose alongside machine tools, driven by belts running from shafts connected to the power house at the Midland railway's workshop in Wellingborough. A pair of locomotive wheels is mounted on a wheel lathe beneath the window. The Midland Railway was founded in 1844 and originally formed the central component of a trunk route from London to York. By the 1860s, the railway had expanded its network of lines, and in 1868 opened its new and spectacular London terminus at St Pancras.
© National Railway Museum / Science & Society Picture Library -- All rights reserved