"'Plantation de Cacaoyers. Separation des feves de la pulpe'. No 1 in the 'Chocolat' ('Chocolate') set of trade cards. The Liebig company produced sets of trade cards to promote their meat extract, a cheap and nutritious product invented in 1847 by chemist, Justus von Liebig. The meat extract was produced from 1865 at the Fray Bentos-Liebig processing plant set up in Uruguay. 1,863 sets of cards were produced continuously from 1872 until 1975 by which time the company had joined with Brooke Bond to become Brooke-Bond Oxo and was owned by Unilever."
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library