Engines for PS 'Princese Henriette' and PS 'Princese Josephine', 1888.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Model (scale 1:12) representing the compound, diagonal engines used by the 'Princes Henriette' and her sister-ship the 'Princes Josephine'. Both ships were built by W Denny and Brothers at Dumbarton, Scotland, for the Belgian Government's Dover and Ostend service. The engines were fitted with Walschaerts valve and Brown steam reversing gears and the cylinders were arranged diagonally or inclining upward to the crankshaft. The engines produced 7000 hp at 50 revs per minute, giving a vesel speed of 21.2 knots.