Engraving by H Hulsbergh after Isaac Sailmaker, published by H Overton. Designed by John Rudyerd in 1708 and completed in 1709, this 90 foot high oak and iron lighthouse was the second to be built on Eddystone Rocks, 14 miles off the coast of Plymouth in Devon. Rudyerd based his design upon a ship, reasoning that ships, in general, were good at surviving storms. Having completed it, Rudyerd disappeared and was never heard from again. The lighthouse survived for 46 years before being destroyed by a fire in 1755.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library