Engraving based on Winstanley's original drawing. Designed by Henry Winstanley (1644-1703) in 1696 and completed in 1699, this timber lighthouse was the first to be built on Eddystone Rocks, 14 miles off the coast of Plymouth, Devon, in the English Channel. A storm on the night of 26 November 1703 destroyed the lighthouse, killing the light-keepers, the workmen and Winstanley himself. It was replaced in 1709 by an oak and iron lighthouse designed by John Rudyerd, which survived until 1755 when it, too, was destroyed in a fire.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library