Section of first telegraph cable, 1837.

White, Ron

 
Section of first telegraph cable, 1837.
4 0 c m
 
33cm
actual image size: 25cm x 32cm

Description

This piece of telegraph cable was used in Cooke (1806-1879) and Wheatstone's (1802-1875) first experimental telegraph, which opened between Euston Square and Camden Town in London on 24 July 1837. The electrical current needed by the telegraph is carried by the 5 copper wires. These wires are in turn protected by an outer shell of wood and resin. Once telegraphy had been invented, attention focused on finding the best technical solutions for transmitting signals over long distances. Copper rapidly became the favourite conductor, because it has a low resistance and does not rust. Overland telegraphs had become well-established by the 1850s.

Image Details

Artist
 
Image Ref.
 
10325148

© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library

buy a print

Select size
 
Select finish
 
How many prints?
 
£20.00
 

buy a framed print

buy a canvas

buy a framed canvas