The opening of the Canterbury & Whitstable Railway, Kent, 3 May 1830.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Detail from a coloured lithograph by Thomas Mann Baynes of the view from Church Street with Whitstable in the distance, showing the steam locomotive 'Invicta'. The Invicta was built for the Canterbury and Whitstable line by Robert Stephenson & Company. English engineer and mechanic Stephenson (1803-1859) based the design of the Invicta on that of the 'Rocket' that became famous after winning the Rainhill Trials on the Liverpool & Manchester Railway in 1829. The Canterbury & Whitstable Railway was known locally as the 'Crab and Winkle' line. It was taken over by the South Eastern Railway in 1844, and remained in operation until 1952. Printed by C Hullmandel and published by Henry Ward, 14 Sun Street, Canterbury.