Royal train bathroom in King Edward VII's saloon, c 1915.
© National Railway Museum / Science & Society Picture Library -- All rights reserved
Built at London & North Western Railway's Wolverton Carriage Works in 1902. Carriage No 800 was modified for King George V (1865-1936) in 1915 when a dresing room was converted to a bathroom, the first time one had ever been built in a British railway carriage. The red line on the bath indicates the maximum height to which it could be filled without spilling the water whilst the train was in motion. It also ensured that the King conformed to wartime restrictions on the use of water.