Remains of London Necropolis Company's Cemetery
© National Railway Museum / Science & Society Picture Library -- All rights reserved
Remains of London Necropolis Company's Cemetery Station, 1948. The station, alongside the London & South Western Railway's London terminus at Waterloo, was built to handle the funeral traffic for the giant Necropolis cemetery at Brookwood in Surrey. When Necropolis opened in 1854, it was intended to become London's only cemetery. This photograph from 1948 still shows the effects of an air raid in April 1941. The bombs destroyed the station's main building and it never re- opened, after the company had operated railway funeral traffic for 87 years.