Entrance to the London Necropolis Company's Cemetery Station, 1902.
© National Railway Museum / Science & Society Picture Library -- All rights reserved
The station, in Westminster Bridge Road, alongside the London & South Western Railway's London terminus at Waterloo, was built to handle the funeral traffic for the giant Necropolis cemetery at Brookwood in Surrey. The station included a chapel and mortuaries. When the Necropolis opened in 1854 it was intended to become London's only cemetery, as the city no longer had room to bury all of its dead.