Village with anti-lightning protection rods, 1820.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Plate from 'Musee Retrospectif du Groupe V' (1900). The village is surrounded by long metal spikes inserted in the ground which attract and disipate bolts of lightning. The lightning conductor was first invented by the American statesman and inventor Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790) in the mid 18th century.