This trophy, which is formally known as the Jacques Schneider Air Racing trophy for Hydro-aeroplanes, was offered in 1913 to encourage the development of marine aviation by the Jacques Schneider armaments works. The trophy, designed by E Gabard, is a silver plated casting mounted on a marble base showing the Spirit of Flight kising the waves. It became the outright property of the Royal aero Club after a third British win in 1931. In 1977 the trophy was donated to the Science Museum, London.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library