Photograph by a Daily Herald staff photographer, George Woodbine. Lots Road Power Station opened in 1905 and was designed to provide the electricity supply for the London Underground. The generators at Lots Road were switched off in 2002 and the Underground was linked into the National Grid for its power supply. The power station with its four 275 foot tall chimney stacks is a prominent London landmark. Redevelopment proposals have been made for the site which would incorporate the building into a residential development.
© NMeM / Daily Herald Archive / Science & Society Picture Library