The development from the late 1860s of rotary printing machines with integral folding machines enabled newspapers to be produced more quickly and cheaply than before. This machine was made by the Victory Printing and Folding Machine Company for the Liverpool Daily Post in 1870. It pased to the Wigan Observer in 1884 where it remained in use until 1966, by which time it had produced approximately a million copies. In 1905 the original folding machine was removed and replaced by one of larger capacity, not shown here.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library