The Conway Bridge under construction, Gwynned, 1848.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Plate from the 'Illustrated London News' (Vol 48), showing the floating on the River Conway of the tube to its destination. The Conway Tubular Bridge, which was built in 1849, was designed by Robert Stephenson (1803-1859) as part of the Chester to Holyhead Railway. The main span of the bridge is 125 metres. On the left is Conway Castle, and on the right the Conwy Castle Bridge, a steel suspension bridge designed by Thomas Telford (1757-1834), and built between 1822 and 1826.