The Doric portico, Euston Station, London, 1919.
© National Railway Museum / Science & Society Picture Library -- All rights reserved
The Euston 'arch', standing at 72 feet, was designed by Philip Hardwick (1792-1870) for the London & Birmingham Railway. It was completed in May 1838 at a cost of £35,000 and stood as a symbol for the confidence and style of the early railway. It was demolished, amidst considerable protest, between November 1961 and February 1962.