The Britannia Tubular Bridge, Wales, 1850.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Coloured lithograph showing the Britannia Tubular Bridge with the Menai Suspension Bridge, a road bridge of 1826, in the background. The Britannia Tubular Bridge was designed by Robert Stephenson (1803-1859) and was completed in 1850. It was constructed to provide trains of the Chester and Holyhead Railway with a pasageway acros the Menai Straits from mainland Wales to Anglesey. The railway terminated at Holyhead, which became a major port for travellers to Ireland.