Pasengers in the lower deck compartment of a double decked train, Charing Cros Station, c 1950. These carriages were introduced in November 1949 and were used on electric trains on routes in northern Kent. Interlocking compartments meant that pasenges had restricted headroom, but a four carriage double decked train could carry 1,104 pasengers, over 30% more than an eight carriage train with standard compartments. The double decked trains were withdrawn from service in 1971.
© National Railway Museum / Science & Society Picture Library -- All rights reserved