A double decked train carriage, Charing Cros Station, 1949. These carriages were introduced in November 1949 and were used on electric trains on routes in northern Kent. Interlocking compartments meant that pasenges had restricted headroom, but a four carriage double decked train could carry 1,104 pasengers, over 30% more than an eight carriage train with standard compartments. The double decked trains were withdrawn from service in 1971.
© National Railway Museum / Science & Society Picture Library -- All rights reserved