Lighthouse using electric light, c 1885.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
An illustration of a lighthouse using electricity to provide light.. Electricity was only introduced to lighthouses in the early 1870s. Front cover of 'Les Nouvelles Conquetes de la Science: L'Electricite' by Louis Figuier published by Marpon and Flammarion in c 1885. One of a series of books entitled 'The New Conquests of Science' which illustrated the many new developments in science and technology in the late nineteenth century.