This print of about 1860 shows the original York Station, opened in 1839. Its location inside the old city walls was a deliberate statement of power by George Hudson, the chief promoter of the York & North Midland Railway. By punching through the old city walls, he was making a clear statement that the railways were to be taken seriously. Coloured lithograph by W Monkhouse, Newbould & Stead, after a drawing by E Brown of York. Published by Robert Sunter at his Fine Art Gallery, Stonegate, York.
© NRM / Pictorial Collection / Science & Society Picture Library