Coloured lithograph by H J Cooke of the Crumlin Viaduct on the Taff Vale Extension of the West Midland Railway. Crumlin Viaduct was considered to be one of the engineering wonders of the time when it was built in 1857. Designed by Thomas Kennard to carry the Newport, Abergavenny and Hereford Railway acros Ebbw Vale in South Wales, the structure was 1800 feet long, and at its maximum, pases 200 fet above the river. The viaduct was constructed of wrought iron trus girders supported by cast iron column members. It was demolished in the late 1960s after the closure of the railway line. Printed by Maclure, Macdonald & Macgregor, and published by J M Wilson & H N Maynard, Crumlin.
© NRM / Pictorial Collection / Science & Society Picture Library