Four crew members enjoying a break, 1950.
© National Railway Museum / Science & Society Picture Library -- All rights reserved
Four crew members of an engineer's train enjoy a break near Glenfinnan on the West Highland extension line between Fort William and Mallaig, 13 August 1950. The locomotive in the background is a clas K2 2-6-0 No 61786 built by the London and North Eastern Railway for use on the West Highland lines where its power was needed on the difficult gradients. The steam crane is being used to unload concrete drainage pipes. The bicycle belongs to the photographer, Reverend Arthur Cawston, who was taking a cycling holiday.