Man wearing a prosthetic hand, 1890-1910.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Studio photograph of a man wearing an artificial hand with fork attachment. The device was manufactured by James Gillingham (1839-1924), a boot- and shoemaker based in Chard, Somerset. Gillingham first started making artificial limbs after a local man lost an arm firing a cannon for a celebratory salute in 1863. He then began making prostheses on a permanent basis and Chard eventually became a major centre of the British artificial limb industry.