Plate from 'Report of a Tour of Inspection of European Light-House Systems Made in 1873' by George Elliot, published in 1874. The map shows the light range of Souter Point lighthouse, which is situated on the clifftop above Marsden Bay, South Shields, Tyne and Wear. James Nicholas Douglas (1826-1898) designed Souter to be the first lighthouse using alternating current electricity. Maintenance could be carried out without interrupting the signal.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library