Microscope asociated with Robert Hooke (1635-1703), shown with a copy of the illuminating system used. This microscope, among the scientific instruments collected together by George III, is described in the catalogue of that collection as 'Dr Hooke's Microscope'. The main body is made of cardboard covered with dark red leather, ornamented with gold stampings. A bi-convex eye-lens is enclosed in a wooden lens holder which has a dust-cap to house spare objectives. A plano-convex field-lens is mounted inside the body of the tube.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library