'Oblique Bridge over the River Gelt', Cumbria, 1836.
© NRM / Pictorial Collection / Science & Society Picture Library
Engraving by T A Prior after a drawing by J W Carmichael, showing a train crosing the bridge on the Newcastle and Carlisle Railway south of Brampton in Cumbria. Construction of the railway began in 1830 under the direction of Francis Giles, and the line was finally opened in its entirety in 1838. It was notable in engineering terms for its fine stone bridges at the Western end of the line.