South Foreland lighthouse lamp, 1879.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Illustrated plate from 'The Electric Light Applied to Lighthouse Illumination' by James Nicholas Douglas (1826-1898), published in 1879. South Foreland, near Dover in Kent, was used by Michael Faraday (1791-1867) for his pioneering work on the use of electricity in lighthouses. It was also the first lighthouse to display an electrically powered signal.