Illustrated plate from 'Our Seamarks' by E Price Edwards, published in 1884. The North Foreland lighthouse is situated on the Isle of Thanet in Kent. The original lighthouse, which consisted of a two-storey octagonal tower made of timber, was built by Sir John Meldrum in 1636. After it burnt down in 1683, a single lantern on a pole was put in its place until a new lighthouse was erected in 1691. The new building was made of brick, stone and flint with a 34 ft octagonal tower. In 1793, a further two floors were added to the tower and the coal fire was replaced by 18 oil lamps.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library