'High Level Bridge, Newcastle upon Tyne', 1849.
© NRM / Pictorial Collection / Science & Society Picture Library
Lithograph by G Hawkins after a drawing by James Wilson Carmichael (1800-1868), showing the newly constructed High Level Bridge and, in the foreground, the bridge completed in 1781 (which was replaced in 1876 with the present Swing Bridge). The High Level Bridge, which was officially opened on 28th September 1849, was built for the York, Newcastle and Berwick railway. Designed by Robert Stephenson (1803-1859), it consists of six spans of cast iron bowstring arches, supported on stone piers, which carry the railway 120 feet above the River Tyne. The bridge has two levels, with the railway on the upper deck and a roadway on the lower. Printed by Day & Haghe.