Lithograph, drawn and lithographed by W Boozey. This bridge, which was officially opened on 28th September 1849, was built for the York, Newcastle and Berwick railway. Designed by Robert Stephenson (1803-1859), it consists of six spans of cast iron bowstring arches, supported on stone piers, which carry the railway 120 feet above the River Tyne. The bridge has two levels, with the railway on the upper deck and a roadway on the lower.
© NRM / Pictorial Collection / Science & Society Picture Library