Plate taken from the Illustrated London News (Vol 84/2 p 361). HMS 'Rodney', one of four ships named after Admiral George Brydges, Lord Rodney (1719-92), was launched 8th October 1884. From July 1906 Rodney was in the Chatham Special Reserve until scrapped 16th June 1909. The launching of ships was becoming increasingly difficult with their growing size. New methods included the use of hydraulic rams.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library