Bristol Temple Meads Station from the GWR's old Control Office, 1934.
© National Railway Museum / Science & Society Picture Library -- All rights reserved
In the foreground are delivery vehicles operated jointly by the Great Western Railway and the London, Midland & Scottish Railway. The station, designed by Sir Matthew Digby Wyatt, opened on 1 January 1878. The spire on the clock tower was destroyed by a German incendiary bomb in an air raid on 3 January 1941. Photograph by Godfrey Soole.