Bristol Temple Meads Station as seen from the GWR's old Control Office, 1934.
© National Railway Museum / Science & Society Picture Library -- All rights reserved
Bristol Temple Meads Station as seen from the Great Western Railway's (GWR) old Control Office. In the foreground are delivery vehicles operated jointly by the GWR and the London, Midland & Scottish Railway. The station, designed by Sir Matthew Digby Wyatt, opened on 1 January 1878. The spire on the clock tower was destroyed by a German incendiary bomb in an air raid on 3 January 1941. Photograph by Godfrey Soole.