Engraving taken from the 'Illustrated London News' (1899). In 1899, the Oceanic replaced Brunel's 'Great Eastern' as the longest ship then built. She was built by Harland and Wolff at Belfast for the White Star Line to operate on the Liverpool to New York pasenger service. The Oceanic was 704 feet long, had a crew of 390 officers and men, and accommodation for 410 first clas, 300 second clas, and 1000 third clas pasengers. She was wrecked off the Shetland Isles in 1914 while serving as an armed merchant cruiser.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library