St Pancras Station, London, under construction, 22 February 1868.
© National Railway Museum / Science & Society Picture Library -- All rights reserved
Engraved plate taken from 'The Illustrated Times'. The St Pancras train shed was designed by William Henry Barlow, the Midland Railway's Consulting Engineer, with the latticed ribs of the roof constructed by the Derbyshire ironworks firm, the Butterley Company. The roof was erected with the aid of a giant moveable timber scaffold and measured 100 feet high and 240 feet wide. The platform was constructed of iron plates on a girder grid, supported by 688 iron columns on brick piers.