Photograph. St Pancras station was designed by George Gilbert Scott (1811-1878) for the Midland Railway's extension line to London. The station's train shed was engineered by William Henry Barlow. The latticed ribs of the train shed's roof were built by the Derbyshire ironworks firm, the Butterley Company, and erected with the aid of a giant moveable timber scaffold. The roof's arch measures 100 feet high with a width of 240 feet. The ribs of the roof rise directly from, and are tied by, the platform floor and bear the Butterley company name on cast plates placed at platform level.
© National Railway Museum / Science & Society Picture Library -- All rights reserved