Soldier with prosthetic legs, c 1915-1918.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Postcard of a British soldier wearing two artificial legs. Full view, probably photographed at Queen Mary's Convalescent Auxiliary Hospital, Roehampton, London. This specialised orthopaedic hospital opened in 1915 and was mainly devoted to fitting artificial limbs to British soldiers who lost limbs during World War One, 1914-1918, of whom there were around 240,000.