The great refracting telescope constructed at Dublin for the Vienna Observatory, c 1881. Plate taken from the Illustrated London News (Vol 81/1 p 364). the telescope was made in Dublin by the Grubb Company, begun by Thomas Grubb (1800-1878), an Irish engineer born in Waterford. Grubb's made as many as 21 refractors of 13 ins. aperture or greater, as well as a number of reflecting telescopes of moderate size and many smaller telescopes. The largest of the refractors was the 27-inch Vienna telescope completed in 1878 for the Imperial Royal Observatory of Austria-Hungary, now the astronomical observatory of the University of Vienna.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library