Colour illustration showing a 2-3 seater coupe cabriolet Phantom III 'f' special, which had a 40-50 hp engine and coachwork by Hooper & Co of London, was built in 1937. Founded in London in 1805 by George Hooper, Hooper & Co became famous during the 19th century for building exquisite carriages and coaches. Until the closure of the company in 1959, they were one of the most highly regarded coachbuilders in the world, producing bodies for limousines, saloons and sports cars. Rolls-Royce Ltd, founded by Charles Stewart Rolls (1877-1910) and Frederick Henry Royce (1863-1933), were one of their biggest clients.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library