Machinery for boring cannons developed by John Wilkinson, 1775.

Lowry, Wilson

 
Machinery for boring cannons developed by John Wilkinson, 1775.
4 0 c m
 
32cm
actual image size: 24cm x 32cm

Description

One of two engraved plates by Wilson Lowry from 'Rees's Cyclopaedia' of 1808. It illustrates the methods and equipment developed and patented in 1774 by John Wilkinson (1728-1808) that were used to bore holes in solid cast iron. Here they are shown being used to bore the central hole in cannon barrels. This not only increased the accuracy of the guns but also made them safer to use. Wilkinson perfected these methods at his ironworks in Bersham, near Wrexham in Wales, but cannon were not produced there. The technology had an important non-military application during the Industrial Revolution as Wilkinson adapted his invention and went into partnership with Boulton and Watt, manufacturing cylinders for their steam engines.

Image Details

Artist
 
Image Ref.
 
10317743

© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library

buy a print

Select size
 
Select finish
 
How many prints?
 
£20.00
 

buy a framed print

buy a canvas

buy a framed canvas