The laboratory at the Surrey Institution, Blackfriars, London, c 1815.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Engraving by James Davis from 'The Chemical Catechism' (Eighth Edition) by Samuel Parkes. Above is a sectioned view of the furnaces, with the laboratory below. Although only in existence from 1808 to 1823, 'the Surry', as it was called, provided an important forum for the disemination of scientific, technological and other developments during the early Industrial Revolution.