Beachy Head lighthouse, 1884.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Plate from 'Illustrated London News', (Vol 84/1, p 9). 'The Beachy Head lighthouse was built on Belle Tout Cliff between 1828 and 1831. Illumination was by a battery of Argand lamps, each backed by a parabolic mirror of copper plated with silver, the whole rotating once every two minutes. The lighthouse was subject to blanketing by fog and was replaced in 1902 by the present one at the foot of the cliff.'