Photograph showing crowds boarding a train for Blackpool. Manchester Victoria was originally built in 1844 to serve George Stephenson's (1781-1848) Manchester & Leeds Railway. It became the principal station of the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway System and as such was one of the largest railway stations in Britain. The station is well known for its Edwardian facade added by William Dawes in 1902.
© National Railway Museum / Science & Society Picture Library -- All rights reserved